Wednesday, December 17, 2014

(Floor) Artistry in Nanning: Team China

China's floor routines received a lot of buzz for being- very different. So I decided to dedicate an entire installment to China's routines in their home Worlds.

Chen Siyi
The music is lovely. The choreography has the classic and elegant look going for it. But- it just sort of doesn't go together. When it does fit together nicely, it is has a nice light feeling and seems very crisp. However, when it doesn't- which is a fairly large portion of the routine- it just seems awkward. Like with Larrissa Miller, musicality! That's the issue here! If a routine doesn't have musicality, it doesn't matter what your style is or how intricate the choreography it. Artistry won't happen.


Tan Jiaxin
Tan's music is far more what you'd expect from NCAA than Chinese elite. And I think Tan's presentation is a bit too Chinese elite and not quite NCAA enough for it. She seems just a little too reserved to manage the performance, and the choreography seems just a bit inhibited in parts. I don't hate it though, seemingly in contradiction to the rest of the gymternet. At least what I've seen. It is an engaging routine, and the choreography is well in harmony with music (most of the time, at least, but most gymnasts need a little breather every now and then- not everyone can be Simone). It just could do to be a bit more dynamic. So, overall, a decent routine (in my eyes, anyway).


Shang Chunsong
It's not a masterpiece, admittedly. But frankly, I think if we are waiting for a masterpiece from Shang, we'll be waiting forever. She just seems to be more suited to more quirky and nontraditional choreography. It's definitely better than her routine from the national championships earlier in 2014. She handles well the powerful beginning of the routine. The middle falls a bit flat, but she never seems lost in the music either. The very beginning and the very end are my favorite parts, but the whole routine is fairly well composed. Again, not a masterpiece, but I think it does well to take advantage of Shang's strengths.


Yao Jinnan
Unfortunately, Yao never really hit this one in Nanning. Too bad, it was my favorite of the Chinese pieces. I absolutely loved it at the Asian Games! Who knew Yao could pull off Prince? I love the way she accents the percussive bits with her sharp and staccato movements. The ending especially is just so great! I actually really liked the cartwheel into the ending, too bad it was a fall. She really doesn't miss a beat (literally) with her choreography. It works in great harmony with the music and is fun and upbeat while still being a little bluesy. I never would have expected this from Yao based on her old routines, but it really does work for her and her choreographers should work to utilize this combination of crowd-pleasing and toney in her future floor work.



So, how was China's artistry on floor at Worlds? In general, I'd say I thought it was fine. Chen Siyi needs more musicality and Tan Jiaxin more expression, but I think they did well in general with what they had to work with. I definitely think Shang Chunsong and Yao Jinnan both had routines about as good as they can have. If Tan Jiaxin could get her expression up, I think Chen Siyi would be the only real place with much work to be done. I'd say China is on the right track but still has some work to be done. I'm actually totally down with the unorthodox approach they've been taking. I think it really sets them apart and China has been focusing on what works for their athletes.

No comments:

Post a Comment