Monday, June 6, 2016

Gymnastics Weekend Thoughts

 This past weekend was crazy in a wonderful way for a gymfan- Euros team and event finals and Classics! So much gymnastics constantly up for watching. So here are the basics of my thoughts on this weekend's competitions.


European Team Final
What I loved:

  • Russia had hit routines (other than Tutkhalyan on beam, of course)
  • France got the bronze!!! Beautiful. I love this team.
  • Hungary, man
  • Luca Diveky rising to the occasion on three events after not competing anywhere in qualifications
  • So many DLOs!
  • Ilaria everywhere!
  • Allison Lapp on bars was lovely

What I didn't:
  • On the converse of France getting the bronze, Switzerland was in fourth, and I was pulling for them to pull out their third place from qualifications again since they don't have a team at the Olympics
  • GB didn't have their best day
  • Becky Downie had another Commonwealth Games-style crazy off routine
  • Romania again falling off the map
  • Giulia continuing to have problems on beam


Junior Classics
What I loved:
  • Emma Malabuyo and Gabby Perea were able to capitalize on the opportunity and finish on the podium after falls from the top competitors
  • No falls on the podium!
  • Irina Alexeeva's beam. 'Nuff said.
  • Chiles did an Amanar, and it wasn't scary! (I don't have Gymnastike Gold or whatever it's called now they're FloGymnastics so I have no idea how it looked in Jesolo)
  • Morgan Hurd upgraded like crazy (but still only has a 5.7 D score on beam?)
  • Tori Tatum is my new obsession

What I didn't:
  • Deanne Soza is just not looking great in her mental game (but, then again, she could very easily be blind right now, so how important is it, really?)
  • Abi Walker scratched everything WHY?? I love her so much. I hate all the random scratches from Texas Dreams.
  • So many falls/off routines from top competitors


Senior Classics
What I loved:
  • CHRISTINA DESIDERIO WAS ON THE BROADCAST SQUEE!!!
  • Aly hit her Amanar landing for the first time since quals in Glasgow
  • And she had a super solid beam, which hasn't always been the case in her comeback
  • Ragan's beam. Her Patterson had issues to say the least, but it's finally shown itself in competition and other than that it was about as close to perfect as Ragan can get.
  • Alyssa Baumann was featured on the broadcast and it was wonderful. Her beam was killer and she's just such a diva on floor and I LOVE IT.
  • Gabby's standing full and awesome save on her front pike on beam
  • Way more high difficulty beam skills (fulls, Arabians) than we were led to expect in the first half of the quad
  • The Svetlana Boginskaya interview!!

What I didn't:
  • I totally get why no one did AA, but it definitely didn't lend itself to the most exciting competition. Floor especially felt pretty empty.
  • Even though I'm not too disappointed about Ragan's Patterson, that was still sad
  • Even though she was never on the start lists, it was a bit disappointing to have Bailie Key be there but not compete- I want to see her on floor especially again!


European Event Finals
What I loved:
  • Giulia is putting everything on the table going into the Olympics! Her Rudi looked so effortless and I really want her to go for a front double eventually.
  • Ellie Downie's gorgeous vaulting got rewarded
  • SLAAAY BECKY!!! 6.9?!? How ridiculous!
  • Beautiful routines from all three on the bars podium
  • NO FALLS IN A BEAM FINAL!! It happened!
  • Marine Boyer really did her job at this championships. And a second medal for France!
  • Marine Brevet was in the floor final with her Pink Floyd routine. That is always a plus for me.
  • Giulia pulling out a last minute DLO 1/1 from her floor routines in the previous rounds!
  • And her Gogean of life which deserves its own mention
What I didn't:
  • I really thought Zsofia was cleaner than that in the bars final
  • Martina Rizelli's super rough go of it
  • I personally would have liked to see Ilaria get the bronze on beam but then what do I know
  • Cata seemed to have a strangely not solid beam routine
  • Claudia's errors on floor

No comments:

Post a Comment